- Job ID
- Consumer Lending
- Regular Full-Time
BrightStar Credit Union is committed to creating a diverse work environment where everyone has an opportunity to succeed. We're dedicated to empowering the careers of our people. Our work environment is fun, fast-paced and service-oriented.
We are currently seeking an Underwriter to join us in our Lending Department in Plantation!
The primary role of this position is to make a difference in our member’s financial lives. This is accomplished by providing the highest quality of service to both internal and external members. This position will work closely with Branch and Loan Department Lenders assisting with loan scenarios as well as identifying areas for improvement.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Direct daily operations and loan application work flow through the underwriting queues to final decision keeping management advised of application queue status and turn times.
- Achieve Underwriting production and service delivery goals. Track and monitor approval/denial levels, while ensuring loan approvals are within Lending Policy. Recommend procedural and/or policy changes that may enhance productivity or ensure quality loan approvals.
- Provide outstanding service to each internal and external member as defined by our Service Standards and Promises.
- Provide leadership and ensure the development of underwriters by measuring production, coaching and recommending any training or counseling that may be required. Review loan applications and queues with Underwriters, coaching for opportunities that may have been missed.
- Actively lead and manage a team of underwriters. Monitor time sheets and schedules for underwriting team ensuring continued coverage to maintain service levels for the Underwriting department.
- Perform other duties and/or assist other departments as needed including but not limited to marketing events, car sales and/or seminars.
- Maintain knowledge with BSA Compliance training:
- Every employee is required to uphold the credit union’s compliance with the Bank Secrecy Act and anti-money laundering policies and procedures. Specific functions with BSCU will take into consideration the awareness of unusual or suspicious activity that is relevant to the department.
- In addition to any other assigned training courses, online BSA and OFAC courses must be completed at least annually, as made available by the Training and/or Compliance Department.
- Maintains comprehensive knowledge of the Bank Secrecy Act, Customer Identification Program, USA Patriot Act, OFAC, Fair Lending and Credit Card Act.
- Provide outstanding service to internal and external members as defined by the credit union’s service standards and promises.
- Achieve loan goals as directed by the VP of Lending, the Lending Manager and/or Board of Directors.
- Monitor and evaluate the vendors used for third party loan origination production to ensure superior service and compliance with contracted service levels.
- Ensure underwriting time frames are maintained within established service levels.
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements and established policy. Recommend updates to loan policy as needed.
- Provide accurate and timely reports to management including reports presented to the Board of Directors as well as ensuring all required general ledgers are balanced within the 5 business days after month end.
Knowledge and Skills:
Experience: Two years of similar or related experience.
Education: Equivalent of two-year college degree or completion of specialized course of study at business or trade school preferred.
A significant level of trust and diplomacy is required, in addition to normal courtesy and tact. Work involves extensive personal contact with others and/or is usually of personal
or sensitive nature. Work may involve motivating and influencing others. Outside contacts become important and fostering sound relationships with other entities
(companies and/or individuals)
- Knowledge of consumer, mortgage and/or business loan underwriting to include but not limited to autos, unsecured and real estate loans.
- Must have working knowledge of regulations affecting lending and be able to communicate regulatory requirements and changes to management.
- Must have good communication and leadership skills.
- Knowledge of Spectrum and CRIF ACTion systems a plus.
- Working knowledge of excel spreadsheets and be able to use general office equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit for long periods of time; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
BrightStar Credit Union is an Equal Opportunity Employer. BrightStar Credit Union is a Drug Free Workplace.