Senior Accounting Specialist
Senior Accounting Specialist
BrightStar Credit Union is committed to creating a diverse work environment where everyone has an opportunity to succeed and feel a sense of belonging. We are dedicated to empowering the careers of our team. Our work environment is service-oriented, fast-paced, and fun.
We are currently seeking a Senior Accounting Specialist to join our team at BrightStar Credit Union!
The primary role of this position is to make a difference in our neighbors' financial lives. This is accomplished by providing the highest quality of service to both internal and external members. In addition, responsibilities include a variety of accounting duties, posting transactions to the general ledger, preparation of monthly reports on a personal computer, various monthly reconciliations, and supporting a smooth operation and continuity of critical finance/accounting functions and systems.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Provide outstanding service to each internal and external member as defined by our Service Standards and Promises. An individual in this position is required to interact with all credit union employees and external members; therefore, outstanding interpersonal skills are essential.
- Reconciliation of various general ledger accounts and assisting the department manager with various balance sheet reconciliations completed by other team members.
- Assist with the month-end closing process.
- Daily balancing of the Federal Reserve statement. Verifies amounts to be wired for same-day settlement at designated banks. Maintains Fedline balances and determines the amount to be transferred at day end to maintain adequate but not excessive balance at the Federal Reserve
- Assist in preparing and providing reports and information to regulators and examiners when requested.
- Assist department manager with projects.
- Manage the setup and maintain fixed assets on 3rd party software (Prologue), download entries to the general ledger, and reconcile accounts.
- Post monthly entries for Consumer and Business Participation loans and reconcile related general ledger accounts.
- Prepare and maintain amortization schedules of deferred fees and costs related to consumer and commercial lending and post monthly entries.
- Serves as back-up for Accounts Payable and Accounting Specialist job functions and maintains own job function procedures.
- Assist in the preparation of regulatory reports, including 5300 Call Report, FR2900 Report, 945 tax return, and Tangible Property Tax returns.
- Performs other duties as needed.
- Provide outstanding service to internal and external members as defined by our service standards and promises.
- To ensure all functions are completed within the allotted time frames.
- To ensure that all assigned GL accounts are current and that all pending items are within the allowable time frames.
- To ensure that all assigned GL accounts are closed and posted within 5 business days after month-end.
- Maintain knowledge with training:
- BSA Compliance – every employee is required to uphold the credit union’s compliance with the Bank Secrecy Act and anti-money laundering policies and procedures. Specific functions with BSCU will take into consideration the awareness of unusual or suspicious activity that is relevant to the department.
- In addition to any other assigned training courses, online BSA and OFAC courses must be completed at least annually, as made available by the Training and/or Compliance Department.
- Maintains comprehensive knowledge of the Bank Secrecy Act, Customer Identification Program, USA Patriot Act, OFAC, Fair Lending, and Credit Card Act.
Knowledge & Skills:
Experience: Five to Eight years of similar or related experience. Strong MS Windows, MS Excel, and MS Outlook skills are required. Familiarity with Fiserv Spectrum or Prologue systems is preferred.
Education: (1) A bachelor’s degree, or (2) completion of a formal certification recognized in the industry as equivalent to a bachelor’s degree.
Interpersonal Skills: Work frequently involves exercising advanced conflict resolution, presenting material, and resolving issues impacting multiple departments or divisions. The role also requires the ability to motivate or influence others as a material part of the role, with a significant level of diplomacy and trust. Obtaining cooperation (internally or externally) is an important part of the role and a high level of interpersonal skills is critical to the success of this position.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 75 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
BrightStar Credit Union is an Equal Opportunity Employer. BrightStar Credit Union is a Drug-Free Workplace.
Job Status: Full Time