- Job ID
- Regular Full-Time
BrightStar Credit Union is committed to creating a diverse work environment where everyone has the chance to succeed. We're dedicated to empowering the careers of our people. Our work environment is service-oriented, fast-paced and fun.
We are currently seeking a
Fraud Specialist to join our team at our Sunrise Operations Center!
The primary role of this position is to make a difference in our neighbors’ financial lives. This is accomplished by providing the highest quality of service to both internal and external members. Responsibilities include the processing and tracking of results pertaining to checking account forgeries, ATM/VISA debit unauthorized use, endorsement forgeries, member account embezzlement, and suspicious account activity.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide outstanding service to each internal and external member as defined by our Service Standards and Promises.
- Responsible for processing and appropriate disposition of fraudulent items by gathering information and presenting documentary evidence in an accurate and timely manner. Works with members to identify transactions, identifies potential suspects, completes necessary paperwork, and eliminates future fraudulent transactions.
- Responsible for filing Fraudulent Check Crime Reports, Bad Check Reports, and Fraudulent Credit Card Reports in a timely manner.
- Responsible for tracking of losses resulting from fraudulent transactions. Responsible for balancing all corresponding general ledgers.
- Participates with the Collection Specialist in performing collection activity on fraudulent return checks and ATM/debit transactions when initial collection steps have been unsuccessful.
- Participate with the Collection Specialist in investigating claims of fraud against the member and credit union by following governing regulations, policies and procedures when gathering evidence and information. Assists the Collection Specialist in responding to subpoenas and providing timely and accurate evidence to law enforcement agencies.
- Responsible for sending VISA debit charge-backs and check return items to other financial institutions within required time frames to reduce loss to members and BrightStar CU.
- Responsible for completion of necessary forms for submitting claims to the insurance company. Provides documentation on non-insurable losses and initiates charge-off of items determined to be non-collectable.
- Contributes to achieving business service objectives by supporting those areas of the credit union which services the business client. Demonstrates understanding of business services functions and knowledge of business deposit and lending products.
- Maintain knowledge with training:
- BSA Compliance – Every employee is required to uphold the credit union’s compliance with the Bank Secrecy Act and anti-money laundering policies and procedures. Specific functions with BSCU will take into consideration the awareness of unusual or suspicious activity that is relevant to the department.
- In addition to any other assigned training courses, online BSA and OFAC courses must be completed at least annually, as made available by the Training and/or Compliance Department. Maintains comprehensive knowledge of the Bank Secrecy Act, Customer Identification Program, USA Patriot Act, OFAC, Fair Lending and Credit Card Act.
Knowledge and Skills:
Experience: One to three years of similar or related experience
Education: A two year college degree or (2) Completion of a specialized course of study at a business or trade school or (3) Completion of a specialized and extensive in-house training or apprenticeship program.
Interpersonal Skills: Courtesy, tact, and diplomacy are essential elements of the job. Work involves much personal contact with others inside and/or outside the organization for purposes of giving or obtaining information, building relationships, or soliciting cooperation.
Other Skills: Effective communication both orally, and in writing, with employees, other organizations, and the general public to explain general established policies, procedures, and systems. Must have knowledge of RCW, UCC, Regulation D and E, and procedures related to fraud investigation. Must have knowledge of check clearing and return-item regulations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 70 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 70 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
BrightStar Credit Union is an Equal Opportunity Employer. BrightStar Credit Union is a Drug Free Workplace.